Neighborhood House Charter School
Applicants must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours between 3-6pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Friday and between 11am and 6pm on Wednesdays.
Neighborhood House Charter School is a public charter school located in Dorchester serving 450 students in grades K-7. We have an afterschool program for about 120 NHCS students each day until 6pm. NHCS is searching for After School Group Leaders to work as part of a team under the supervision of the Out of School Time (OST) Manager in designing and executing dynamic and safe activities for children in the afterschool program.
Interns will assist the After School leadership plan activities and help group leaders manage a cohort of children ranging in age from 4 to 13. Responsibilities include modeling positive behavior and leadership skills. Interns may be responsible for setting up activities and cleaning up at the end of the day and for establishing and maintaining good relations with students in the afterschool program. Programming takes place on-site and at various locations throughout the community.
Intern Role & Responsibility
- Support staff as they implement educational and recreational activities including sports and health, arts and crafts, STEAM and other projects;
- Adhere to policies and procedures in a proactive manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus;
- Build a positive relationship with each After School participant in your care and foster positive connections between participants;
- Actively participate in all activities and encourage students to do the same;
- Conduct yourself professionally, as each Group Leader represents our school to other school staff, parents, children and visitors to the school;
- Put away all equipment and supplies at the end of each shift;
- weekly meetings and staff development initiatives;
- Maintain open, professional and constructive communication with other after school staff and program participants;
- Be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
Required Hours/Skills Experience
- Current undergraduate students majoring in psychology, child development, sports management, and education;
- At least one year’s experience working with children in a child care, educational or camp setting; experience as a tutor or coach is welcomed;
- Ability to model and demonstrate behaviors that foster a caring, respectful, and responsible community
- Free CPR and First-aid certification available after 40 hours of service
- Travel reimbursement or free MBTA pass
- Course credit (for colleges/universities that accept)
- Students who successfully complete 120 hours of service will be considered for a paid group leader position in the Summer School Program (4 weeks starting in July) and/or consideration for school year position as a group leader
Neighborhood House Charter School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
To apply for this job please click here.