Coffee House Press
Please send your applications to internship[at]coffeehousepress.org; applications through Indeed will not be considered.
Coffee House Press is a nationally known and renowned nonprofit publishing house located in Northeast Minneapolis. We publish annually sixteen to twenty books—novels, short stories, poetry, and literary essays.
An internship at Coffee House Press will introduce you to all aspects of a small literary publisher, and will give you skills that can also easily transfer to larger publishing houses and other careers, both in the arts and elsewhere.
Intern tasks include:
- Reading and reporting on submissions (both in written and oral reports)
- Filing and other assorted clerical duties
- Researching donor and grant prospects
- Sending out submission correspondence
- Writing copy for newsletters, reading group guides, and the CHP website
- Manuscript fact checking
- Coordinating mailings (galleys, press releases, catalogs, etc.)
- Providing support at events
- Acquisitions research
- Database upkeep
Internship hours are flexible, averaging 12-15 hours per week over the course of 4 months for a total of at least 200 hours. At the completion of the internship, interns receive a $1,200 stipend, $100 worth of discounted Coffee House titles, and a discount on all future purchases. Internships are intended as fixed-length, educational experiences and should not be interpreted as job training. Interns are not entitled to or guaranteed employment upon the completion of the internship, but they are welcome to apply for open positions at the press at any time.
- Fall internships run September through December. Applications accepted May 15–July 1.
Unless posted otherwise, this deadline is firm. We are unable to review applications received outside of these dates.
- A cover letter explaining why you’re applying for the program, along with your preferred start date
- A detailed resume with your work and academic background
- A list of five favorite contemporary books in any genre
- Optional: up to three pages of additional documents (e.g., references, work samples). Please do not send creative writing samples (poetry, stories, novel excerpts, memoir, and so on).
Diverse experiences and viewpoints are important to us. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses. Please note that I-9 Employee Eligibility Verification is required.
Email the required application materials to the Intern Coordinators at internship[at]coffeehousepress.org. Please contact us at (612) 338-0125 if you are unable to email materials and instead need to provide applications via mail. We do not accept internship applications in person.
Job Type: Internship
To apply for this job please click here.