El Puente de Williamsburg
El Puente is a community human rights institution that promotes leadership for peace and justice through the engagement of members (youth and adult) in the arts, education, scientific research, wellness and environmental action.
Community Schools support the social, emotional, physical, and academic needs of students by offering a coordinated approach to increasing opportunities for young people and improving the academic performance of students through partnerships among principals, parents, teachers, and community-based organizations (CBOs).
El Puente partnered with MS 50 in 2014. Since this partnership began, MS 50 has grown into one of the best community schools in New York City. Attendance has increased; student, family and teacher satisfaction has increased and most recently, we tripled and quadrupled our ELA and Math proficiency rates.
MS 50 El Puente Community School is a model for how school transformation can be made with the support and guidance of students, families, educators and the surrounding community. We are currently in the fourth year of their transformation to a full-scale community school. A community school seeks to support students socially, emotionally, physically and academically and utilizes resources creatively to be able to meet the needs and interests of students, families and communities. Instead of top-down decision making, MS 50 El Puente Community School is challenging previous school reform models by demonstrating that involving multiple stakeholders in the decision making process creates better results for long-term change.
MS 50 EL PUENTE COMMUNITY SCHOOL IS CURRENTLY SEEKING:
Highly organized, self-motivated, charismatic individual ready to join the high paced work of Community Schools at MS 50 El Puente Community School. Individual would be taking on many roles so the ability to manage their time and finish tasks to completion is a must. This includes keeping track of our data and communications systems.
SUCCESS MENTORS WILL:
- Work closely with school principal, Community School Director and Community School Assistant Director to identify students who are chronically absent.
- Mentor a caseload of approximately 20 chronically absent students by serving as a ‘coach’ and ‘sounding board’. This including providing coaching to enhance their holistic development: mind, body and soul.
- Manage communication between stakeholders including students, parents and staff
- Complete daily attendance tasks which include, but is not limited to making daily attendance phone calls and hosting VIP Lounge
- Update attendance board monthly
- Coordinate attendance incentives and events
- Document interactions and report to Assistant Director
- Work approximately 25 hours weekly
- Education: Some College
- Experience: 1 years of experience working with youth preferred
- Commitment to helping children achieve success in life
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and groups
- Ability to comply with applicable child safety requirements
- Ability to promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful mentoring environment that embraces diversity
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage caseloads and effectively work with students
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
- Commit to working for MS 50 El Puente Community School for 1 Year
What can interns expect to gain from the experience?
Interns gain the following benefits: course credit,experience, skill development, perspective, supervision, professional connections, academic credit, and the satisfaction of providing a service to others.
Job Type: Internship [Read more]
To apply for this job please click here.