American Red Cross
***The Internship is an unpaid developmental experience where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship.***
Purpose: The American Red Cross Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter seeks an enthusiastic, confident intern to assist with special events and other fundraising activities. This is an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate or graduate student to become familiar with non-profit event planning and fundraising. The Development/Fundraising intern will assist with special projects that help fulfill fundraising needs and provide support for chapter stewardship efforts such as mailings, thank you calls/notes to donors, office assistance, donor database maintenance, and donor research as well as planning, implementing, and promoting fundraising events.
Reports To: * Financial Development Specialist
- Provide assistance with and support of the following:
- Assist with the logistical planning and implementation of fundraising events such as the Red Cross Ball, Regional Hero Awards events, Regional galas, regattas, and other donor cultivation events.
- Assists with and supports fundraising events including but not limited to event venue arrangement, event mailings, signage, table arrangements, displays, the registration process, printing, project preparation and day-of-event logistics.
- Transport and set up Red Cross materials at community and fundraising events and return display materials to chapter/unit.
- Maintain an open, friendly and helpful approach to donors & event attendees.
- Conducts donor thank you calls and writes personalized thank you notes.
- Conducts basic research of potential donors, donor data entry, adding notes, contacts, relationships, and other clerical data entry, including maintenance of data.
- On-call to assist with disaster fundraising including, but not limited to third-party fundraisers, field calls and mailings.
- Provides general administrative support as related to development, including preparing mailings, photocopying, filing, cleaning out records as well as assisting with projects and other duties as assigned.
- Manage third party and grassroots fundraising initiatives.
- Assist in overall Financial Development day-to-day operations and planning.
- Assist with department and other projects as needed.
Time Commitment: Flexible – at least 12 hours per week during business hours (9-5) with availability to work during special events.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Agree to Red Cross Policies and Procedures (Confidentiality Requirement)
- Complete background check (paid and processed by American Red Cross)
- Enrolled in secondary education program
- Business or Liberal Arts degree with majors such as: Marketing, Non-profit, special events, general business, etc.
- Must be able to attend and support fundraising and special events that occur during your internship term.
- Must be comfortable soliciting donations in a face to face, or over the phone setting.
- Comfortable interacting with the public, including answering and making phone calls.
- Must be comfortable managing/directing a team of volunteers
- Reliable transportation, ability to travel to offsite locations
- Ability to sit or stand for 1-4 hours
- May involve being outdoors in varying weather elements
- Ability to represent the American Red Cross in a consistently positive and professional manner including being punctual and appropriately dressed
- May need to lift/carry some event supplies up to 15 pounds.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office software (Excel, Word, Publisher, etc.)
Job Type: Internship
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Administrative: 1 year (Preferred)
- Excel: 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Word: 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Publisher: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Pittsburgh, PA (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- One location
To apply for this job please click here.