Houston Grand Opera
Title: Graphic Design Internship
Status: Part time, unpaid intern
Reports to: Andi Russell, Creative Manager
Objective: To understand and participate in graphic design for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Houston Grand Opera is seeking a candidate to join the Communications team as a graphic design intern. This individual will assist with the overall creative needs of the organization through planning, designing, and collaborating with the creative manager and communications team. The graphic design intern will assist in the production of print and digital collateral, e-marketing communications and related materials, internal publications and programs, in addition to social media and web content for Houston’s internationally acclaimed opera company. The internship will provide hands-on experience with the various duties and responsibilities required to execute high-level graphics and visuals.
Assist the creative service team in the design and production of print and digital collateral including but not limited to newsletters, print ads, display ads, programs, direct mail, etc.
- Assist in the design and production of digital artwork for email communications
- Assist with design, development, and production of artwork for internal publications in addition to new concepts for upcoming productions and world premieres
- Assist with digital elements for video projects
- Assist with website content management
- Assist with institutional photography
- Perform other duties as assigned
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS: Perks include access to final dress rehearsals of great musical productions with fantastic voices.
- The candidate must be proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator; After Effects and/or Premiere strong plus
- Candidates must have strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to complete tasks under minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate, keen eye for detail and the ability to multitask
- Candidates should have the ability to maintain a professional demeanor in the presence of performers, colleagues, VIPs, and local media
- College degree or active progress towards a degree related to design
- Creative and innovative thinking required; interest in the arts a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A self-starter with a strong desire to learn
Internships for Houston Grand Opera are unpaid, but offer a great deal of hands on experience. College credit is available upon request and school approval. Interns will gain and/or improve upon his or her:
- Basic layout and composition skills
- Understanding of the graphic design role for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- General computer, design, and organizational skills
- Gain hands on experience with the design and production of print and digital collateral
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization
A minimum of three months or 120 hours commitment is required. Interns are expected to work at the Houston Grand Opera office 15 or more hours/week during office hours (8:30 am – 5:30 pm, Monday – Friday). Schedule is flexible as agreed upon by the supervisor and intern.
About the organization:
Houston Grand Opera (HGO) is one of the largest, most innovative, and most highly acclaimed opera companies in the United States. HGO was the only American finalist for Opera Company of the Year at the 2017 International Opera Awards. In fulfilling its mission to advance the operatic art to serve an ever-evolving audience, HGO has led the field in commissioning new works (65 world premieres to date) and in training and nurturing promising young artists and administrators. The company contributes to the cultural enrichment of Houston and the nation through a diverse and innovative program of performances, community events, and education projects that reaches the widest possible public. HGO’s pioneering community engagement initiative, HGOco, has served as a model for other arts organizations. HGO has toured extensively and has won a Tony, two Grammy awards, and three Emmy awards. It is the only opera company to win all three honors.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Internships are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability
To apply for this job please click here.